Thursday, April 22, 2010

Man Admires Superman

Man Admires Superman
Oil on Wood Panel
8"X6"
I just love this Mel Ramos painting. (Superman, 1961-62) I visit it every time I go to the De Young. And almost always, if I am patient, a wonderful man ambles over for a long, loving look.
I don't know much about Ramos. But I wonder if he questioned himself and his art. I wonder if it was enough to just do it. I wonder if he has any idea how much pleasure this image spreads around to random people. I wonder if it would mean a lot to him to know.

1 comment:

  1. Like the painting! Came across it by chance when looking up Mel Ramos, because a friend admires his work. Nice to come across your blog, so greetings from London!
    It is interesting to reflect on the pleasure that images spread around to random people, as you say. I am reminded about some of Stanley Spencer's paintings, here in England.
    I have an art blog and try to post bits and pieces regarding exhibitions, such as one of Stanley Spencer seen recently, at Compton Verney. My blog piece about this is at
    http://sportsportraitartist.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

Comment