Tuesday, June 15, 2010

Girl in White Straw Hat Contemplates Lady in Black Spanish Scarf

Girl in White Straw Hat Contemplates Lady in Black Spanish Scarf
Oil on Wood Panel
8"X6"
Today was my day to see Masterpieces from the Musee d'Orsay at the De Young Museum.
It was everything it's cracked up to be. And there were lots of people there soaking it all in. (Go first thing in the morning. Get tickets in advance, even if you are a member.) I have to admit that Whistler's "Arrangement in Grey and Black: Portrait of the painter's Mother" (aka "Whister's Mother") has stayed with me all afternoon. I had been studying the vast array of rich grays in many of the paintings, and this one was icing on that cake. Look for grays to turn up in future paintings here.
I couldn't leave without stopping by to see my old favorites in the permanent collection. I had those galleries all to myself except for the occasional girl wearing a white straw hat and ruby slippers.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comment