Tuesday, March 7, 2017

A.A. Milne and E.B. White


A.A. Milne and E.B. White
Oil on Wood
12"X12"

In an effort to escape the news of these days, I have been seeking out books that will do for me now what I remember "Winnie the Pooh" and "Now We Are Six" doing for me in childhood. Anything by E.B. White is as relevant now as it was when it was written.  Like seeing an old friend, his words warm the soul. Thankfully, Book Passage has come to Sausalito.  Today I picked up George Saunders' "Tenth of December" because I loved his answers to the "By the Book" questions in the February 19th New York Times Book Review
Question. "What moves you most in a work of literature?"
Answer. "Depictions of goodness that are not fraudulent or sentimental."
Bring on "depictions of goodness" in art and literature, and then let's hope life imitates art.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comment