Monday, June 6, 2011

Double Take


Double Take
Oil on Wood
8"X6"
The sculpture is Manuel Neri's, "Mary and Julia." The painting is just a little corner of Joan Brown's, "Noel in the Kitchen," one of my all time favorites. The passer-by is soaking it all in. As was I after seeing "The Steins Collect Mastisse, Picasso, and the Parisian Avant Guard" at S.F. MOMA on a rainy day at the end of last week. The show was wonderful. Full of light and discovery. Nothing pompous or dark. I left recommitted to do with gusto whatever it is that I do, which is in essence what the artists and collectors of the show were all about.  I couldn't leave without perusing the permanent collection where I could move freely, photograph, and take in the flow of figures filing past cherished artworks. A never ending revelation and source of inspiration.


1 comment:

  1. This painting is terrific! I was just there myself (SFMOMA), and really appreciated your comments too. Looking forward to companion show on Gertrude Stein at Jewish Museum.
    MV Leslie

    ReplyDelete

Comment