Wednesday, February 27, 2013

Man in Yellow Suspenders Encounters Superman - Painting at the De Young Museum

Man in Yellow Suspenders Encounters Superman
Oil on Masonite
10"X8"
Vermeer's "The Girl With a Pearl Earring" is featured at the De Young Museum's "Dutch Paintings from the Mauritshuis" exhibit. It was my reason for going first thing this morning, and I am glad I did. The bright light and rich dark in the paintings made me want to come right home and mix paint. But first I had to go see my old favorites, and to my surprise, Mel Ramos' wonderful "Superman," subject of several of my paintings, has been moved to just outside the ladies' and men's room on the main floor so there was lots of coming and going by "Superman" to watch. When a man with yellow suspenders took a moment to admire Superman, I knew this was my lucky day. 
 It never fails. Going to the De Young is like taking medicine. The kind that tastes good and goes down easy. I always feel visually refreshed and energized after a morning spent milling around the place.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comment